The PET Recycling Company (NPC)
+27 021 794 6300 or call toll free: 0860 147 738 ( 0860 1 is PET)
Find us on Twitter & Facebook: PETCO 1isPET
PETCO operates throughout South Africa and has offices in Cape Town and Johannesburg.
PETCO is the trading name of the PET Recycling Company (NPC), which represents the South African PET plastic industry’s joint effort to self-regulate post-consumer polyethylene terephthalate (PET) recycling. PETCO was formed 12 years ago as an industry-driven and financed environmental solution for PET and is responsible for managing the PET industry’s extended producer responsibility (EPR) in South Africa.
The mission is to grow the collection and recycling of PET bottles after consumer use. PETCO is funded by a voluntary recycling fee paid by industry (on PET resin purchased locally or imported) and grants from brand owners, retailers and resin producers.
All funds are invested in ensuring and encouraging visible recycling, through
• contracting and financing PET recyclers who collect bottles, process them into rPET in preparation for the manufacture of new products, and make those products
• consumer education and awareness (including schools and community groups)
• training and joint venture projects (including those with municipalities)
• equipment support and sponsorship (for collectors)
• guidance relating to design for recycling (for industry).
This is done by way of partnerships and working to a five to ten-year plan with clearly-defined targets.